Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
1One's sphere of operations or particular area of interest.‘you never give the presentations—that's my bailiwick’
area, sphere, area of activity, discipline, province, department, domain, sector, line, branch, subject, speciality, specialty, specialization, specialismView synonyms
- ‘Thus, it doesn't really monkey with the states' authority after all; it only makes sure they stay in their traditional bailiwick.’
- ‘And it has done so even in areas where the crime at issue seems to be a crime that falls squarely into the state's bailiwick - and does not affect federal interests at all.’
- ‘Here her analysis is most surefooted as she discusses late eighteenth and early nineteenth-century fiction, Benedict's professional bailiwick.’
- ‘And she's looking at a couple of other projects, but that's kind of out of my bailiwick, if you will.’
- ‘Education is going to be your bailiwick for us, and then we're going to ask about that and a lot of other things.’
The district or jurisdiction of a bailie or bailiff.
- ‘The queen appoints a lieutenant-governor as her representative in the two bailiwicks of Jersey and Guernsey.’
- ‘With very few exceptions, they easily agreed that what was going on in their bailiwicks was incomparable and required a different approach.’
- ‘Their organization was strictly hierarchical, into priorates, then bailiwicks and lastly commanderies.’
- ‘Will decentralization really bring politics closer to the people, or will we be returning to a bunch of little bailiwicks?’
- ‘They are still causing mayhem in their southern bailiwick.’
Late Middle English: from bailie + wick.
Are you looking for a word for a foolish person? We explore twelve interesting words to describe the dunderheads in your life.
Before you run for the hills, let’s run through a list of ‘run’ expressions that are running through our minds.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.