One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
A sport in which dogs draw a badger from its sett and kill it, illegal in the UK since 1830.
- ‘Most people in this country consider badger-baiting a horror and cock-fighting an abomination, but most of them think that fishing is mostly OK.’
- ‘I've just worked on a badger-baiting for the RSPCA, and that to me is as important as any other case.’
- ‘This has always been a black and white scenario for me, in the same league as clubbing seals or badger-baiting.’
- ‘Experts say badger baiting, outlawed since 1835, is on the rise in the Lothians, with at least one report a month.’
- ‘It's a bit like badger-baiting / cock-fighting etc from the point of the participant in my eyes.’
- ‘The badger, a poem by John Clare, describes a badger baiting session in the early 1800s.’
- ‘The purpose: to put a stop to badger-baiting, a form of sport with dogs first outlawed in 1835.’
- ‘West Yorkshire Police wildlife officer PC Steve Downing says intelligence gathered shows crimes such as badger-baiting, the theft of parrots and other species are often being carried out by those with links to the drugs world.’
- ‘Pain can be inflicted for punishment, sport (stag or fox-hunting), or amusement (bear or badger-baiting, dog or cock-fighting), or as an overt outlet for energy or sadistic gratification.’
- ‘The second type of badger baiting involves gambling where large sums of money can change hands.’
- ‘At the end of the day all these reasons are just excuses for a ‘sport’ that should be classed with Bull-fighting, cock-fighting, dog-fighting, and badger-baiting, all of which are illegal in the United Kingdom.’
- ‘For centuries badgers have been victims of persecution by man, and in the old days, badger baiting was a popular spectator sport.’
- ‘It soon becomes clear that he has been married six times and his personal passions include musical theatre and badger-baiting.’
- ‘A wildlife group says that incidents of badger baiting in south east Wales have doubled in the last year.’
- ‘Badger baiting was made illegal in the UK in 1835, but still continues.’
- ‘But I hope they can see that it is an emotive topic, but one which is qualitatively different to cockfighting, bull-fighting or badger-baiting.’
- ‘Perhaps we should bring back badger-baiting, cock-fighting, the bear pit, and all of those other traditional English pursuits we ignorant townies have put a stop to.’
- ‘His work has encompassed everything from badger-baiting to the illegal trade in elephant ivory.’
- ‘Badger baiting is a cruel and barbaric form of blood sport.’
- ‘Police investigating alleged badger baiting in Lancashire arrest three men on suspicion of animal cruelty.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.