Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
An angry or irritable state of mind.‘the cold put him in a bad mood’‘I smiled, my bad mood forgotten for the moment’
- ‘I always call Ben when I'm in a bad mood.’
- ‘His sister was in a bad mood, which tended to be a bad omen for anyone else near her.’
- ‘He had some nerve to accuse me of being in a bad mood.’
- ‘He's never in a bad mood, always ecstatic to be doing his thing.’
- ‘Every time he was in a bad mood, he'd play Wagner at full volume.’
- ‘He came home in a bad mood, uncertain about the future.’
- ‘My bad mood evaporated.’
- ‘On any working day, a quarter of all managers in Britain are likely to be in a bad mood because they have not slept well.’
- ‘One day I had an epiphany and realized that you can go around in a bad mood all of the time, but it won't do any good.’
- ‘I hope I didn't offend anybody, but I have bad moods too and sometimes I'm in public when that happens.’
- ‘Bad moods are rarely made better by the rain.’
- ‘Researchers at Rice University have found that being in a bad mood may actually spur creativity.’
- ‘Her bad moods were still affecting all of us, and I had begun to get really worried.’
- ‘Nina's bad mood on 2 May was related to her father's travails.’
- ‘If a customer service worker is in a bad mood, he or she may transfer this negativity to the customer.’
- ‘Most of us have had the experience of "catching" a good or bad mood from someone else.’
- ‘Maybe the show just caught me in a bad mood, but I didn't think much of the visual presentation.’
- ‘Nothing helps a bad mood more than sharing it.’
- ‘Maybe I'm just in a bad mood today’
- ‘I honestly believe video games are one of the best methods to rid your mind of a bad mood.’
We take a look at several popular, though confusing, punctuation marks.
From Afghanistan to Zimbabwe, discover surprising and intriguing language facts from around the globe.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.