Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
An offense against current social conventions.‘it was considered bad form to talk about money’
- ‘It is also considered bad form to take this as an invitation to give a detailed description of your current problems.’
- ‘There was a time when it would be considered bad form for a chef to be seen by the customers.’
- ‘All the students attended, near-riotously, and it was considered bad form for a faculty member not to be present.’
- ‘It is purely voluntary, but is considered bad form not to accept.’
- ‘Although I was the most recent arrival in Indonesia of all the people working on Pacific Union, I appeared to be the only one who had read in a book on the country that it is considered very bad form to sit on a table.’
- ‘That ideology was not alien to the Russian political elite under Yeltsin either, but subscribing to it is now obligatory… In today's Russia it is bad form not to be a derzhavnik.’
- ‘To bring reason to bear on it is considered bad form.’
- ‘While a certain level of high spirits is expected at these bashes, it is considered bad form to become overly tired and emotional.’
- ‘After decades of being considered bad form, tales of imperial derring-do are making something of a comeback.’
- ‘Nevertheless, it is considered bad form to state the blindingly obvious; that Europe exhibits more signs of failure than of success.’
- ‘In the Navy if you are having a drink in the bar it is considered bad form to talk about money.’
- ‘I realize that it is considered bad form to make such a claim.’
- ‘It is therefore considered bad form to turn up with an article you found on the internet and presume to tell him exactly what he should prescribe for your rash.’
- ‘This blurring of the line between editorial and advertising content would have once been considered very bad form - but these days it seems as if anything goes in the quest for online profits.’
- ‘It is considered bad form to charge personal calls to the room, use the in-room bar, or order pay-per-view movies or events.’
- ‘Until the 1990s, it was considered bad form, even in church-related law schools, to relate legal ethics to religious ethics.’
- ‘Using e-mail to break up with your sweetheart is still considered bad form.’
- ‘It is considered very bad form indeed in the industry to ‘poach’.’
- ‘At these parties, refusing somebody's advances is considered to be the height of bad form.’
- ‘Wearing ragged cutoffs and flip-flops is generally considered bad form at most business meetings.’
We take a look at several popular, though confusing, punctuation marks.
From Afghanistan to Zimbabwe, discover surprising and intriguing language facts from around the globe.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.