One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
The two-humped camel, which has been domesticated but is still found wild in central Asia.
- ‘It is estimated that no more than 660 wild Bactrian camels, Camelus bactrianus ferus, and possibly as few as 500 survive in China.’
- ‘But the two-humped Bactrian camels the group of mainly middle-aged women were given to ride turned out to be a little too wild.’
- ‘Like many other wild ungulates, Bactrian camels live in social groups dominated by a single male, but I had no idea that a bull could control such a large harem.’
- ‘With two jeeps and a supply truck, we establish a base camp in Hongliugou Valley, where we have arrangements to hire twenty domesticated Bactrian camels.’
- ‘On our trek, which has covered 132 miles in ten days, we have counted 141 wild Bactrian camels.’
- ‘Though wild Bactrian camels and bears tend to inhabit its more inaccessible areas, the Gobi has enough diversity of habitat to be teeming with life.’
- ‘In 2001, for example, the U.N. Environment Program declared that the wild Bactrian camels were a newly discovered species.’
- ‘It's midnight by the time the car, snaking through the shifting sand of the Kara Kum desert, patrolled by Bactrian camels silhouetted in the twilight, reaches Ashgabat.’
- ‘The wild Bactrian camel, a two-humped ancestor of domesticated camels, is now critically endangered in its native habitat in the harsh deserts of Northwest China and Mongolia.’
- ‘In the 1920s an Asian elephant and a Bactrian camel were bought and put into service, taking visitors on rides around the zoo.’
- ‘Though it is likely the ancestor of domesticated camels, he notes that studies suggest a significant DNA difference between wild and domesticated Bactrian camels.’
- ‘Another animal newly classified is the wild Bactrian camel from China and Mongolia, which has been hunted because it competes with domestic camels for water and grazing.’
- ‘In October 2003, twelve captive wild Bactrian camels were moved to the new holding area near Bayan Tooroi in time for the 2003-2004 breeding season.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.