Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
A protein present in the bacterium "Halobacterium halobium" that transports protons across the cytoplasmic membrane when illuminated.
- ‘The integral membrane protein bacteriorhodopsin acts as a light-driven proton pump in the purple membrane of Halobacterium salinarum.’
- ‘Internal structural water molecules seem to play an important role in proton conduction in membrane proteins like bacteriorhodopsin, the photosynthetic reaction center, and cytochrome-c oxydases.’
- ‘The membrane protein bacteriorhodopsin, a light-driven proton pump, is a very suitable protein to study proton transfer.’
- ‘A new approach to the three-dimensional structure of membrane proteins has been developed and tested on the integral membrane protein, bacteriorhodopsin, the crystal structure of which had previously been determined.’
- ‘Even native, isolated pigment proteins like bacteriorhodopsin have been investigated for their applicability as optical switches.’
Are you looking for a word for a foolish person? We explore twelve interesting words to describe the dunderheads in your life.
Before you run for the hills, let’s run through a list of ‘run’ expressions that are running through our minds.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.