One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
The presence of bacteria in the blood.
- ‘Serious complications from salmonellosis include bacteremia and cardiovascular infection.’
- ‘In the medical setting, one study asked doctors to judge the probability that medical inpatients had bacteraemia.’
- ‘Fever may be a marker of sepsis, localized infection, occult bacteremia, or benign illness.’
- ‘Although severely malnourished children may not have obvious signs of infection such as fever and tachypnoea, the prevalence of bacteraemia, urinary tract infections, and pneumonia is high.’
- ‘Invasive disease includes bacteremia, meningitis and infection in a normally sterile site, excluding the middle ear.’
Late 19th century: from bacterium + -emia.
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.