One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
A backward swing, especially of an arm or of a golf club when about to hit a ball.
- ‘Stephen had a common swing flaw: He failed to turn his body behind the ball during the backswing.’
- ‘You can achieve consistent results by adjusting the length of your backswing and your swing speed.’
- ‘Over the putts, his backswing would become as long and wobbly as a jellied eel.’
- ‘Let your head move backward a bit in the backswing to accommodate the shifting of weight to the right foot.’
- ‘Simulate a backswing, then start your forward swing with the right arm and left hip moving together.’
- ‘She swings in control and stays on plane on the backswing and forward swing.’
- ‘An on-plane downswing returns to the ball at the same angle as the backswing.’
- ‘You take the club back too far inside the target line on the backswing, then swing it outside the line on the way down.’
- ‘Feel like you're stretching the elastic on your backswing to gain swing speed.’
- ‘I like to keep my left foot on the ground as my body rotates away from the ball on my backswing.’
- ‘Some amateurs swing too steeply on the backswing, bottom out the arc too soon on the downswing and hit it fat.’
- ‘I tend to lift up halfway into the backswing and then just slap at the ball.’
- ‘She no longer had to worry about drifting too far behind the ball in her backswing and hitting fat or thin shots.’
- ‘The shape of both your backswing and your forward swing is greatly influenced by your posture.’
- ‘The problem was his short backswing, which forced him to overaccelerate on the forward swing.’
- ‘Extend your left arm on the backswing, and then extend your right arm on the through-swing.’
- ‘Moreover, you can't control the club very well during the late stages of the backswing.’
- ‘I was having a problem swaying backward on my backswing and I wasn't making solid contact.’
- ‘Complete your backswing, then repeatedly swing to about halfway down to sense your wide arc.’
- ‘This drill takes the tension out of the swing and allows the club to lag in the backswing and release through impact.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.