One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
A backward swing, especially of an arm or of a golf club when about to hit a ball.
- ‘Let your head move backward a bit in the backswing to accommodate the shifting of weight to the right foot.’
- ‘This drill takes the tension out of the swing and allows the club to lag in the backswing and release through impact.’
- ‘She no longer had to worry about drifting too far behind the ball in her backswing and hitting fat or thin shots.’
- ‘I tend to lift up halfway into the backswing and then just slap at the ball.’
- ‘Stephen had a common swing flaw: He failed to turn his body behind the ball during the backswing.’
- ‘Extend your left arm on the backswing, and then extend your right arm on the through-swing.’
- ‘An on-plane downswing returns to the ball at the same angle as the backswing.’
- ‘I was having a problem swaying backward on my backswing and I wasn't making solid contact.’
- ‘You can achieve consistent results by adjusting the length of your backswing and your swing speed.’
- ‘Feel like you're stretching the elastic on your backswing to gain swing speed.’
- ‘Some amateurs swing too steeply on the backswing, bottom out the arc too soon on the downswing and hit it fat.’
- ‘I like to keep my left foot on the ground as my body rotates away from the ball on my backswing.’
- ‘She swings in control and stays on plane on the backswing and forward swing.’
- ‘You take the club back too far inside the target line on the backswing, then swing it outside the line on the way down.’
- ‘The problem was his short backswing, which forced him to overaccelerate on the forward swing.’
- ‘Complete your backswing, then repeatedly swing to about halfway down to sense your wide arc.’
- ‘The shape of both your backswing and your forward swing is greatly influenced by your posture.’
- ‘Moreover, you can't control the club very well during the late stages of the backswing.’
- ‘Over the putts, his backswing would become as long and wobbly as a jellied eel.’
- ‘Simulate a backswing, then start your forward swing with the right arm and left hip moving together.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.