Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
A predatory aquatic bug that swims on its back using its long back legs as oars. It is able to capture large prey such as tadpoles and fish.See also water boatman
- ‘She pointed out damselfly larva, water beetles, tadpoles, backswimmers, dragon fly larva and snails as they circled around in our tiny sample of the marsh.’
- ‘Adult and larval backswimmers eat smaller animals in the water including bloodworms and aquatic larvae.’
- ‘Holding its pale back away from the sunlight makes the backswimmer harder for predators to spot.’
- ‘From time to time the backswimmer will surface to empty and refill these chambers with a fresh supply of air.’
- ‘These fairy shrimps and backswimmers constitute the majority of the macroinvertebrates captured in these ponds.’
Are you looking for a word for a foolish person? We explore twelve interesting words to describe the dunderheads in your life.
Before you run for the hills, let’s run through a list of ‘run’ expressions that are running through our minds.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.