One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
A predatory aquatic bug that swims on its back using its long back legs as oars. It is able to capture large prey such as tadpoles and fish.See also water boatman
- ‘Holding its pale back away from the sunlight makes the backswimmer harder for predators to spot.’
- ‘She pointed out damselfly larva, water beetles, tadpoles, backswimmers, dragon fly larva and snails as they circled around in our tiny sample of the marsh.’
- ‘These fairy shrimps and backswimmers constitute the majority of the macroinvertebrates captured in these ponds.’
- ‘Adult and larval backswimmers eat smaller animals in the water including bloodworms and aquatic larvae.’
- ‘From time to time the backswimmer will surface to empty and refill these chambers with a fresh supply of air.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.