One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
A backward-sloping diagonal line (\), used to separate file and folder names in some path statements.
solidus, oblique, diagonal, virgule, slantView synonyms
- ‘The transposon sequence is represented between backslashes.’
- ‘Some shot straight up like a picket fence, others spiked violently to one side like a backslash.’
- ‘Lines beginning with whitespace are interpreted as a continuation of the previous line, so it's not necessary to use a backslash at the end of a long line.’
- ‘And for some reason, I kept writing a backslash instead of a forward slash.’
- ‘It was easier for us to do that than fight getting the double backslashes correct.’
- ‘If you enter the above command in three lines, rather than one, remember to include the backslashes (\) as the final character on each of the first two lines.’
- ‘As you can see we had to escape the quotes inside the string with backslashes.’
- ‘You easily can override the built-in time command by preceding it with a backslash, as in the examples that follow.’
- ‘The backslash followed by a semicolon at the end is required in this case.’
- ‘The list may span multiple lines if you end each line (except for the last) with a backslash (\).’
- ‘Note the backslashes for lines that were too long to fit in this example.’
- ‘I made a few more changes from the resource you created - for instance, the backslash and backtick keys seemed to be transposed.’
- ‘You can type the command as one long line without the backslashes or use them to break up a long pipeline into multiple lines on the screen.’
- ‘Put the filename in quotes with forward slashes (/) instead of backslashes (\).’
- ‘The backslash represents the genomic cutting site.’
- ‘Finally, I came up with the idea of the backslash, which is sort of a theme throughout all the songs.’
- ‘The backslashes in the above command are there because I couldn't fit the entire command on one line.’
- ‘As you can see, the keyboard adopts the older ‘small enter key’ layout, in which the backslash is positioned below backspace and above the enter key instead of being flanked by the equal key and backspace.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.