One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
A rod terminating in a clawed hand for scratching one's own back.
- ‘Neither defect seriously detracts from the looks of this backscratcher.’
- ‘It foreshadows the surrealists, as he shows the monkeys playing in the jungle with a backscratcher and a milk bottle, trappings of civilisation in the savage world.’
- ‘With a bendable handle this backscratcher can reach the lower or upper part of the back with minimal effort.’
- ‘I do occasionally visit such shops but don't always remember that I want this backscratcher.’
- ‘‘Oh look Amy your drink came with a backscratcher,’ Jake noted.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.