One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
A publisher's list of older books still in print.
- ‘Publishers like mystery writers to do series characters because it helps keep the backlist of earlier novels selling.’
- ‘The publisher has reinvigorated its impressive backlist and new titles with stylish covers.’
- ‘The genteel 19 th-century world of publishing in which boutique publishing houses lovingly cultivated their backlists has been overwhelmed by 21 st-century conglomerates who want a profit and want it now.’
- ‘That's a publishing decision - someone said, ‘We need to build up our educational backlist.’’
- ‘But he does have quite a backlist and reputation, and an international network of committed fans.’
- ‘Both feminist publishers and feminist booksellers were sustained by the amount and length of time these backlist books were stocked.’
- ‘It has sold its backlist to its distributor, so the books should still be available.’
- ‘Signed copies, selected backlist titles and audio will be available for sale at the event.’
- ‘The re-release of his entire fiction backlist will appear on shelves in bookshops this month.’
- ‘By redesigning its Morrison backlist to appear as a set, the publisher encourages its consumers to purchase the entire ‘Morrison collection.’’
- ‘Previously, publishers' bread and butter were their backlists of steady sellers.’
- ‘Group ads also give companies a chance to advertise their midlist and backlist books - titles that might not otherwise have ad money allocated.’
- ‘Since Naipaul won the 2001 Nobel Prize for Literature, there has understandably been much excavation of his backlist - omnibus collections, reissues, stories and essays shuffled around in new editions.’
- ‘This litigation will determine whether print publishers also hold e-book rights for the books that are part of their active backlist published prior to the time when contracts became explicit about e-book rights.’
- ‘Doubtless she also earns royalties from sales of her backlist.’
- ‘Many contemporary politicians could learn a lot by immersing themselves in his backlist.’
- ‘For many years there has been a growing sense that book publishing has taken a wrong turn - that its constant emphasis on new titles is leading to short-term thinking and neglect of the established titles on the backlists.’
- ‘He seemed to have been around a long time then and already had a huge backlist from which to draw.’
- ‘To work through his backlist is to be surprised at the continuities that are present in his writing.’
- ‘Nevertheless, 'Roots' remains on the backlist and continues to be an important read among those seeking insights into the black experience all the way back to its African roots.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.