One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
A publisher's list of older books still in print.
- ‘For many years there has been a growing sense that book publishing has taken a wrong turn - that its constant emphasis on new titles is leading to short-term thinking and neglect of the established titles on the backlists.’
- ‘Doubtless she also earns royalties from sales of her backlist.’
- ‘Group ads also give companies a chance to advertise their midlist and backlist books - titles that might not otherwise have ad money allocated.’
- ‘Previously, publishers' bread and butter were their backlists of steady sellers.’
- ‘It has sold its backlist to its distributor, so the books should still be available.’
- ‘The publisher has reinvigorated its impressive backlist and new titles with stylish covers.’
- ‘Publishers like mystery writers to do series characters because it helps keep the backlist of earlier novels selling.’
- ‘To work through his backlist is to be surprised at the continuities that are present in his writing.’
- ‘The genteel 19 th-century world of publishing in which boutique publishing houses lovingly cultivated their backlists has been overwhelmed by 21 st-century conglomerates who want a profit and want it now.’
- ‘But he does have quite a backlist and reputation, and an international network of committed fans.’
- ‘Since Naipaul won the 2001 Nobel Prize for Literature, there has understandably been much excavation of his backlist - omnibus collections, reissues, stories and essays shuffled around in new editions.’
- ‘By redesigning its Morrison backlist to appear as a set, the publisher encourages its consumers to purchase the entire ‘Morrison collection.’’
- ‘Many contemporary politicians could learn a lot by immersing themselves in his backlist.’
- ‘He seemed to have been around a long time then and already had a huge backlist from which to draw.’
- ‘Signed copies, selected backlist titles and audio will be available for sale at the event.’
- ‘Nevertheless, 'Roots' remains on the backlist and continues to be an important read among those seeking insights into the black experience all the way back to its African roots.’
- ‘This litigation will determine whether print publishers also hold e-book rights for the books that are part of their active backlist published prior to the time when contracts became explicit about e-book rights.’
- ‘That's a publishing decision - someone said, ‘We need to build up our educational backlist.’’
- ‘Both feminist publishers and feminist booksellers were sustained by the amount and length of time these backlist books were stocked.’
- ‘The re-release of his entire fiction backlist will appear on shelves in bookshops this month.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.