One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
A recorded musical accompaniment, especially for a soloist to play or sing along with.
- ‘The band consist of just two members, a vocalist/guitarist and a vocalist/bassist with the drums played upon a backing track.’
- ‘He began a solo career singing along to backing tracks on a tape recorder.’
- ‘Meanwhile, the backing track pops and grooves, slides easily from one sonic moment to the next, and envelops the many layers of synth seamlessly.’
- ‘Youngsters who sing on the backing track for the new advert have been presented with a copy of their recording.’
- ‘She spent two years singing backing tracks for other artists.’
- ‘Devoted fans will recognize a lot of the original backing tracks, which all have been remixed and dubbed up with plenty of spacey echo, harsh delay, copious reverb, and psychedelic sound effects.’
- ‘Despite her public ‘aw shucks’ persona, the girl can sing - it's just a shame that she's never really allowed to soar, afforded little room to move within the unimaginative backing tracks.’
- ‘A stream of session musicians had been brought in to play the backing tracks on the album to give them some musical content.’
- ‘Too frequently, the music sounds like backing tracks awaiting a great soloist to step forward; too infrequently one does.’
- ‘And there are a lot of interesting sounds in the backing tracks of hip-hop, too, as well as innovative vocal techniques.’
- ‘As it stands, it's hard to imagine a bigger waste of great backing tracks.’
- ‘So I went and ad-libbed to some backing tracks and they took me on straight away.’
- ‘Fortunately, the backing track overpowers the unrelenting lyrical assault, making the song enjoyable regardless of its difficulties.’
- ‘I'm not one for attacking musicians for playing along to backing tracks.’
- ‘'Karaoke' is a Japanese word that means singing to pre-recorded backing tracks of popular songs that have had their lead vocals removed.’
- ‘While most sang with backing tracks, those who did not impressed the judges with their vocal and timing abilities on some difficult songs.’
- ‘He was used to arriving at a studio to find the backing tracks already recorded.’
- ‘But a lavish stage show budget allows all sorts of backing tracks and monitoring to compensate for their slim numbers.’
- ‘It mostly seems like they cut and pasted the vocals over the backing tracks, which adds to the disappointment.’
- ‘On this fourth album, the poetic singer/songwriter guitarist, who makes his own electronic loops and backing tracks, is more ghostly than folksy.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.