One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
A backward somersault done in the air with the arms and legs stretched out straight.
- ‘He did somersaults, backflips, and other types of jumps.’
- ‘When you see physical strength and ability like that, it's really inspiring - it makes me want to do handstands and backflips.’
- ‘The wide receiver did backflips across the 50-yard line, and the grins got wider by the moment.’
- ‘She did two backflips and landed safely on the soft water.’
- ‘Channeling the errand momentum, Ace led with his right hand and cartwheeled backward leading into a chain of visually stunning backflips.’
- ‘She did a roundoff into two backflips, and then calmly turned to Danny, saying, ‘So, I'm expecting you can do that, too, right Mr. Gymnast?’’
- ‘Hearing another noise, she did a couple of backflips.’
- ‘Some choose to do backflips over a 10.5m gap, while others sidesaddle their bikes or let go of the handlebars over a 27m gap.’
- ‘For a barefoot beginner like myself, watching today's capoeira experts mixing well-oiled, gravity-cheating, silent cartwheels and backflips with powerful kicks and lunges leaves me slack-jawed in admiration.’
- ‘I could swear I saw Stephen Murray do tabletop backflips years ago.’
- ‘Already, the 30 squad gymnasts, aged between six and 18, are perfecting backflips and somersaults, and are looking forward to showing them off in a competition next month.’
- ‘You should have experience doing backflips before you try this trick.’
- ‘The movie is about an acrobatic corn-seller who does backflips for his customers.’
- ‘In the clip, happy teens happily do homework on laptops; and footage of children doing backflips presumably conveys that technology in the classroom gives you more time for gymnastics.’
- ‘Following his gaze, I felt my stomach do backflips.’
- ‘All these kids are out there [on dirt bikes] jumping 80 feet and doing backflips, but I'm jumping 200 feet over cars.’
- ‘True street skaters don't do misty flips and backflips on the streets.’
- ‘She raised her hands in the air and cart wheeled head first before twisting her body end over end in backflip after backflip.’
- ‘Then get down to business and start loving’ those backflips - you need to practice tons to ace tryouts.’
- ‘My diabetes is in tight control and I'm even learning to do backflips at age 33.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.