One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
A backward somersault done in the air with the arms and legs stretched out straight.
- ‘Some choose to do backflips over a 10.5m gap, while others sidesaddle their bikes or let go of the handlebars over a 27m gap.’
- ‘The wide receiver did backflips across the 50-yard line, and the grins got wider by the moment.’
- ‘Already, the 30 squad gymnasts, aged between six and 18, are perfecting backflips and somersaults, and are looking forward to showing them off in a competition next month.’
- ‘He did somersaults, backflips, and other types of jumps.’
- ‘I could swear I saw Stephen Murray do tabletop backflips years ago.’
- ‘All these kids are out there [on dirt bikes] jumping 80 feet and doing backflips, but I'm jumping 200 feet over cars.’
- ‘She did a roundoff into two backflips, and then calmly turned to Danny, saying, ‘So, I'm expecting you can do that, too, right Mr. Gymnast?’’
- ‘She raised her hands in the air and cart wheeled head first before twisting her body end over end in backflip after backflip.’
- ‘Hearing another noise, she did a couple of backflips.’
- ‘You should have experience doing backflips before you try this trick.’
- ‘My diabetes is in tight control and I'm even learning to do backflips at age 33.’
- ‘The movie is about an acrobatic corn-seller who does backflips for his customers.’
- ‘Then get down to business and start loving’ those backflips - you need to practice tons to ace tryouts.’
- ‘She did two backflips and landed safely on the soft water.’
- ‘In the clip, happy teens happily do homework on laptops; and footage of children doing backflips presumably conveys that technology in the classroom gives you more time for gymnastics.’
- ‘True street skaters don't do misty flips and backflips on the streets.’
- ‘When you see physical strength and ability like that, it's really inspiring - it makes me want to do handstands and backflips.’
- ‘Following his gaze, I felt my stomach do backflips.’
- ‘Channeling the errand momentum, Ace led with his right hand and cartwheeled backward leading into a chain of visually stunning backflips.’
- ‘For a barefoot beginner like myself, watching today's capoeira experts mixing well-oiled, gravity-cheating, silent cartwheels and backflips with powerful kicks and lunges leaves me slack-jawed in admiration.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.