One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
1The area of play behind either the offensive or defensive line.
- ‘They will shift from the line of scrimmage to the backfield, or split out as receivers.’
- ‘He made three tackles in the Buc backfield and two more at the line of scrimmage.’
- ‘You might even see him lined up in the backfield once or twice.’
- ‘To use four wide receivers, the Chargers took some basic pass protection away from the line of scrimmage and the backfield.’
- ‘The team is in a state of flux at two spots: the offensive line and the defensive backfield.’
- 1.1 The players positioned in the backfield.
- ‘An effective run stuffer, he also can get into the backfield and pressure the quarterback.’
- ‘They entered the offseason with a depleted defensive backfield, so adding a quality cornerback or safety is likely.’
- ‘When it comes to the offensive backfield, they take a back seat to no team in the SEC.’
- ‘After taking a handoff deep in the backfield from the quarterback, the tailback picks a hole based on the blocking in front of him.’
- ‘He has shown the versatility throughout his career to play any position in the defensive backfield.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.