Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
Cross (a hybrid) with one of its parents or an organism with the same genetic characteristics as one of the parents.‘after five generations the backcrossed dogs were indistinguishable from purebred dalmatians’[no object] ‘they backcrossed with red-flowered parents to reinforce the effect’
- ‘The selected individuals are either backcrossed to the recurrent parent or randomly intercrossed to produce the next generation of the families.’
- ‘The parent cultivars were crossed to produce an initial hybrid that was then backcrossed to each parent.’
- ‘To eliminate possible additional mutations, the mutant strains were backcrossed eight times before genetic analyses.’
- ‘The mutations were backcrossed and checked for allelism by genetic complementation tests.’
- ‘Each candidate was then backcrossed to the unmutagenized parent and tetrads were dissected to ensure that the synthetic lethal phenotype resulted from a single mutation.’
An instance or result of backcrossing.
- ‘After 10 backcrosses into the NIH433a genetic background, both KN433a and KN433 were identical to each other and to NIH433a at all markers examined except those in the MAT locus.’
- ‘Genetic backcrosses were conducted to eliminate plasmid-based mutations and to verify that a single genetic locus was responsible for the 3 - AT-resistant phenotype.’
- ‘However, after several backcrosses, its heterozygotes could be distinguished from the dominant homozygotes.’
- ‘The genotypes of all double mutants were confirmed by backcrosses to wild type.’
- ‘Because of the repeated backcrosses, their nuclear genome is considered to be nearly equal to that of the paternal recurrent parent.’
Are you looking for a word for a foolish person? We explore twelve interesting words to describe the dunderheads in your life.
Before you run for the hills, let’s run through a list of ‘run’ expressions that are running through our minds.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.