One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
An office or center in which the administrative work of a business is carried out, as opposed to its dealings with customers.
- ‘He ascertained that Mr Leeson was the key man and controlled both the front and the back office.’
- ‘Waste exists beyond the factory floor - in the supply chain, back office, sales and marketing.’
- ‘Only after the SLK incident did Mr Bax cause Mr Jones to take over responsibility for the back office.’
- ‘More difficult is forging a business relationship with a DBS provider and creating the back office to handle the billing.’
- ‘Chan had worked on the frontline for two years before being promoted to the back office where he managed operations and personnel arrangements.’
- ‘Normally the back office acts as a check upon fraud and misconduct as it processes the paperwork associated with trading.’
- ‘The back offices of several global companies are also increasingly being run on this alternative operating system.’
- ‘Sure, their reception area is always pretty nice, but they never spend any money on the back offices where all the work is done.’
- ‘For the optimal performance of health systems in Africa, all the key components of the back office must function together.’
- ‘Undeterred, Diller is sticking to his plans and seems willing to run the back office for now.’
- ‘What processes can we implement to improve our systems both in the front and the back office?’
- ‘You can be front office or back office or both.’
- ‘The décor reminds me of a back office of a five star hotel.’
- ‘I'm definitely not the sort of bloke who can work away in a back office.’
- ‘Workflows are now available that cross the back offices of multiple trading partners within a supply chain.’
- ‘Once oral agreement is reached the ' back office ' of a bank ensures that a prompt confirmation is dispatched to the other bank.’
- ‘Already many big banks have moved large parts of their back offices here.’
- ‘Global cash management has been outsourced to Deutsche Bank, trade finance to ABN and Goodbody's back office is to be outsourced to Pershing Securities.’
- ‘For the next 41 years, it is run out of a back office of PGA headquarters in Florida.’
- ‘But in recent years more decisions have been delegated to planners in the back office, until 43 per cent are done that way.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.