One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
All the works previously produced by a recording artist or record company.
- ‘With almost continuous rock 'n' roll on the soundtrack, the film was also able to exploit the EMI back catalogue.’
- ‘The arrival of the CD in the late 1980s saw a bonanza for the major labels as they repackaged their back catalogues and prepared to sell the public their record collections for a second time.’
- ‘To celebrate ten years on the road, the duo performed old favourites from their impressive back catalogue.’
- ‘The show is likely to be half songs from the new album, and half from his back catalogue.’
- ‘Surely there could have been better, more surprising, tracks to be lifted from all three artists' back catalogues.’
- ‘They will be playing a selection of songs from their back catalogue, plus some new material, before they concentrate on recording.’
- ‘This latter criticism is probably unfair - she's got a quite a back catalogue now and something's got to make way for new stuff.’
- ‘In fact, it is hard to think of any other artist of such importance who dislikes their own back catalogue as strongly.’
- ‘But the industry has become so dependent on its back catalogue.’
- ‘I get especially concerned at the thought of any musical based on a top music artist's back catalogue.’
- ‘A blanket copyright extension would encourage record companies to restrict access to their entire back catalogues, even works (the vast majority) that they would never exploit.’
- ‘They're each given a form to fill in, saying which song from my back catalogue they want me to do and why they want it.’
- ‘No one could write off a musician with such a fantastic back catalogue.’
- ‘His back catalogue became valuable, and he went from being overdrawn at the bank to multi-millionaire status in those few years.’
- ‘The evening climaxed with a medley of favourites which satiated fans of his back catalogue.’
- ‘As well as showcasing the new material they dipped into their extensive back catalogue, which revealed their heavier roots.’
- ‘The album combines songs from their extensive back catalogue with more recent additions.’
- ‘The other two albums are re-issues, with bonus tracks, the latest in their releases of their back catalogue.’
- ‘Of course it was the songs lifted from the back catalogue that went down best with the audience.’
- ‘He rightly relies on a back catalogue of classic songs.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.