Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
1A young unmarried woman.
- ‘Well, you are an eligible bachelorette, are you not?’
- ‘I'm still going to check out a couple of the other bachelorettes from my Craigslist ad, though.’
- ‘Do you want to be soon around town with two of Newport's most eligible bachelorettes?’
- ‘Bachelors are much more socially acceptable than bachelorettes.’
- ‘Upon finding out that she was single, the next day there were lots of articles making her out to be a desperate bachelorette, but this woman is no damsel in distress.’
- ‘I saw a party of bachelors and a party of bachelorettes, presumably from the same wedding, that had rented out two of the San Francisco cable cars for the night.’
- ‘Wendy, a married mother of three, oversees Parador Pictures, a thriving Miramax-like movie studio, and Victory, a diehard bachelorette and fashion designer, runs her own clothing company.’
- ‘So I figured there would be lots of attractive, hopefully eligible bachelors and bachelorettes around my age.’
- ‘He does and doesn't want to marry as he serially observes his friends' conjugal problems and dallies with three fetching bachelorettes.’
- ‘In your heart of hearts, you know you don't really care whether what's-his-name gets kicked off the island, or fired, or wins the bachelorette or whatever.’
- ‘Alright, well, with no further adieu, let's bring out our first eligible bachelorette!’
- ‘Over 30 eligible bachelorettes lined up to take part in the competition.’
2A small bachelor apartment.‘a bachelorette in a high-rise complex’
- ‘Watson was the city lawyer assigned for the last six years to the issue of bachelorettes - small rental units for single people.’
Are you looking for a word for a foolish person? We explore twelve interesting words to describe the dunderheads in your life.
Before you run for the hills, let’s run through a list of ‘run’ expressions that are running through our minds.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.