Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
treated as singular or plural Any of a number of ornamental plants that bear small, buttonlike, double flowers.
- ‘Many mixes contain common annual flowers, such as bachelor's buttons and cosmos because they are likely to self-sow.’
- ‘Many flowers like bachelor's buttons, violas, calendula, pansies, & roses are edible as well as beautiful.’
- ‘I direct seed bachelor's buttons, bupleurum, bells of Ireland, coreopsis, zinnias, some sunflowers and more.’
- ‘During warm-weather months, bachelor's buttons, black-eyed Susans, and calendula line the compound's walls.’
- ‘Those tiny lifeless-looking seeds you hold in your hand - wrinkled washed-out peas, minute flecks of lettuce, smooth bean pellets, feathery ‘parachutes ‘of bachelor's buttons - are alive.’’
We take a look at several popular, though confusing, punctuation marks.
From Afghanistan to Zimbabwe, discover surprising and intriguing language facts from around the globe.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.