One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
1An occasion of wild and drunken revelry.‘the debauched and alcoholic president was said to be organizing unceasing bacchanals’
celebration, festivity, jollification, merrymaking, carousal, carouse, spree, debauchView synonyms
- ‘The night ended with more song, some dancing, and much good humour to go around - even the captain took part in the bacchanal and danced a verse or two of ‘Along the Petersburg Road.’’
- ‘The movie tells the story of two middle-aged pals, Miles and Jack, attempting one last bachelor bacchanal before Jack gets married.’
- ‘Coming from the comparatively sedate Toronto coffeehouse scene, the brothers were dropped into what must have seemed like a bacchanal.’
- ‘The party finishes on Ash Wednesday, and J'Ouvert on the preceding Thursday night signals the beginning of the real, hard-core bacchanal.’
- ‘Through her eyes we observe the absurdities of co-ed dorms and toilets, drunken frat bacchanals, and violent tailgate parties.’
2A priest, worshiper, or follower of Bacchus.merrymaker, partygoer, party animal, carouser, roisterer, good-time boy, good-time girl, pleasure seekerView synonyms
- another term for bacchanalian
- ‘Right Bed, Wrong Husband is a production which assures steady laughs, from beginning to end, spiced with the bacchanal elements that local audiences love so well.’
- ‘The blogs have been very successful, the surprise being that students' blogs aren't all bacchanal debauchery but have included some intensely personal writing and some well reasoned commentary.’
- ‘With the proceeds of a very remunerative silent film in which he choreographed and danced a bacchanal scene, he re-channeled his life into a decade of travel and painting.’
- ‘What did shock me was that the hip-hop press, perhaps in a guilty, knee-jerk response to the bacchanal hip-hop that essentially gave rise to the genre in the first place, chose to ride along.’
Mid 16th century: from Latin bacchanalis, from the name of the god Bacchus.
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.