One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
1Bearing berries; berried.
- ‘Seedling germination was generally rapid in capsular-fruited species, slower in those with baccate fruits; the longest germination time after sowing was 4 months for Mouriri myrtilloides.’
- ‘Fruits are occasionally baccate, usually capsular and sometimes winged or lobed, or indehiscent and dry or fleshy.’
- ‘The fruits are ordinarily dehiscent capsules, while some species have baccate fruits or nut-like fruits.’
- ‘We are somewhat skeptical of the potential for crosses between baccate species (Y. baccata and Y. madrensis) and capsular species (Y. elata).’
- ‘For yuccas, Addicott notes that the baccate (fleshy-fruited) species typically lose more seeds to yucca moth larvae than do the dry-fruited capsular yuccas.’
- 1.1 Of the nature of a berry; berrylike.
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.