Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
A disease of cattle and other livestock, transmitted by the bite of ticks. It affects the red blood cells and causes the passing of red or blackish urine.Also called piroplasmosis
- ‘Babesiasis is usually transmitted by tick bites although there is some non-tick transmission.’
- ‘Southern cattle had acquired immunity to bovine babesiosis - the disease transmitted by these ticks.’
- ‘Tick-borne diseases in the United States include Rocky Mountain spotted fever, Lyme disease, ehrlichiosis, tularemia, babesiosis, Colorado tick fever, and relapsing fever.’
- ‘For example, I. scapularis may transmit ehrlichiosis, Lyme disease, and babesiosis.’
- ‘The number of symptoms and duration of illness in patients with concurrent Lyme disease and babesiosis are greater than in patients with either infection alone.’
Early 20th century: from modern Latin Babesia, from the name Victor Babès (1854–1926), Romanian bacteriologist.
Are you looking for a word for a foolish person? We explore twelve interesting words to describe the dunderheads in your life.
Before you run for the hills, let’s run through a list of ‘run’ expressions that are running through our minds.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.