Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
A thick sauce or spread made from ground eggplant and sesame seeds, olive oil, lemon, and garlic, typical of eastern Mediterranean cuisine.
- ‘Pita bread, hummus (chickpea dip), baba ghanouj (eggplant dip), and tabbouleh (a salad of parsley and bulgur or cracked wheat), have become mainstays on health food menus.’
- ‘Share hot and cold mezzes such as hummus and baba ghanouj or steamed mussels with preserved lemon or a new selection of Mediterranean-style marinated raw fish.’
- ‘One has to explain that while Tazka delivers real humus (four leva) and baba ganoush (four leva), ours weren't quite as tasteful as what we're used to.’
- ‘It was about the baba ghanouj, the puréed eggplant that's a staple in any Lebanese fast food joint - and there are three of them in this town.’
- ‘Hummus, baba ghanouj, and foul mudammas (fava beans stewed with tomatoes and onion) arrived decked with apple slices, crisp-fried spinach, and sesame seeds.’
- ‘So did the eggplant spread known as baba ghanouj, which was further distinguished by its understated touch of lemon.’
- ‘Most baba ghanouj dips in town depend on garlic, or lemon, or quantities of sesame-based tahini sauce for their character.’
- ‘A plate of crisp pitta toasts, mounds of home-made chickpea cream and roasted aubergine baba ganoush with chopped egg makes for a satisfying light meal.’
- ‘We had already bathed in the smoky, garlicky bliss of Mary's superb baba ghanouj.’
- ‘Sometimes I find a dip, like a homemade hummous or baba ganoush on the menu.’
- ‘The food is tasty, cheap and plentiful: olives, hummus, baba ganoush (aubergine dip), falafel, kibbeh (lamb meatballs), fasoula, tabouleh (cracked wheat salad).’
- ‘For $3.50, you can get stuffed vine leaves, baba ganoush or hummus, served with a thick coating of delicious olive oil.’
- ‘Sandwiches are filled with hummus or baba ganoush.’
- ‘We had a veritable feast of Middle-Eastern dippy things: baba ganoush, fouls medames, tabbouleh.’
- ‘They're all excellent, from subtle versions of hummus and baba ghanouj to a rollicking, red-peppery eggplant relish cryptically dubbed ‘eggplant with sauce.’’
From Egyptian Arabic, from Arabic bābā, literally father + gannuug, perhaps a personal name.
baba ghanouj/ˌbäbə ɡəˈno͝oSH/
Are you looking for a word for a foolish person? We explore twelve interesting words to describe the dunderheads in your life.
Before you run for the hills, let’s run through a list of ‘run’ expressions that are running through our minds.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.