Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
A young man involved with hip-hop culture.
- ‘Head spins and leaps were the order of the day, with the b-boys showing off their nimbleness and flexibility.’
- ‘Invite the b-boys - break-dancers, for those who don't know - to your show and share the stage.’
- ‘No way a joyous b-boy could pop 'n' lock to this thing.’
- ‘It's because patriotism is the last refuge of a b-boy.’
- ‘His approach, like photographer Nan Goldin, brought him intimately close to his subjects - the generation of b-boys and b-girls.’
- ‘Expect classic hip hop and b-boy breaks, as well as reggae and some very special guests.’
- ‘While New York speeds its way back to ‘business as usual,’ Crazy Legs and Rock Steady Crew continue to move ahead with plans that have the b-boys of the world in mind.’
- ‘We showcased a lot of talent last weekend; I think there were about 20 b-boys that came out to compete.’
- ‘All you breakdancers, b-boys and b-girls, come on down, you're part of this element.’
- ‘He's a b-boy with a poodle named Wesley and an apartment with ornate pillows with silk flowers on them and beautiful vases filled with giant lilies.’
- ‘While the b-boy roots of the main protagonists remain clear throughout, this is an album based around an altogether more organic sound.’
- ‘In his first incarnation he was an '80s b-boy, and part of Ice-T's Rhyme Syndicate.’
- ‘Having caught on to the London-based trend of hip hop dance classes, Da Angelo productions offers up a brand-new course for all aspiring b-boys and b-girls in Montreal.’
- ‘And what about the breakdancing, featuring Stirling b-boys Allan Irvine and Wallace Sulley?’
- ‘It had its own language, it had developed a dress pattern inspired by the African-American b-boys and b-girls, and its artistic tastes indicated a preference for rap music, breakdancing, and graffiti.’
- ‘‘B-Boy Stance’ was the first single, which I still think is far better with the b-boy / b-girl video.’
- ‘Local b-boys and b-girls have showcased strongly, most notably Pump, who last year caught the eye of New York promoters while performing in the '99 national finals.’
- ‘There will also be a b-boy / b-girl competition and - get this - a live snowboarding event held outside, courtesy of The Source.’
- ‘For the last seven years this annual blowout has attracted writers, b-boys, b-girls, MCs and turntablists from around the world, and this year is no different.’
- ‘Like b-boy Jason Mraz or a Remy Shand that rocks, Levine charismatically laid down his funk smoothness.’
1980s: b- probably from the noun beat or from breakdancing.
Are you looking for a word for a foolish person? We explore twelve interesting words to describe the dunderheads in your life.
Before you run for the hills, let’s run through a list of ‘run’ expressions that are running through our minds.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.