One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
1Abnormal excess of nitrogen compounds in the urine.
- ‘She was very fit and on a good nutritional program but shortly after completing cross country, she had a severe episode of azoturia.’
- ‘Contraindications are: progressive renal dysfunction, including anuria, increasing oliguria and increasing azoturia; pre-existing elevated serum potassium.’
- ‘Hence, azoturia (excess of nitrogenous matter in the urine), which is an indicator of a functional breakdown, does not occur until three quarters of the glomeruli have ceased to function.’
- 1.1Veterinary Medicine A condition of horses that causes stiffness and pain in the muscles of the hindquarters and back, and the production of dark-colored urine containing myoglobin.
- ‘Garza's seen horses with azoturia, aka Monday Morning Sickness or ‘tying up.’’
- ‘When mixed with feed at the recommended dosage, Azodine helps replace sodium and calcium ions which may be lost during exercise and thus reduce the likelihood of azoturia.’
- ‘As a matter of fact, over-indulgence in grain has been tied to azoturia, yet so have vitamin and mineral deficiencies, hormonal imbalances, and severe dehydration.’
- ‘In horses, the Muscle Tie-Up Syndrome is accompanied by azoturia and much pain.’
- ‘Myositis is also called azoturia, ‘tying-up’, ‘Monday morning syndrome’, paralytic myoglobinuria and rhabdomyolysis and although the underlying causes may be different the clinical presentation is similar.’
Mid 19th century: from obsolete azote ‘nitrogen’ + -uria.
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.