One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
1Relating to the armpit.‘enlargement of the axillary lymph nodes’
- ‘We compared the findings in these lymph nodes with lymph nodes obtained from axillary and inguinal dissections during surgical procedures.’
- ‘Bone marrow and axillary lymph node biopsies both contained mixed cellularity Hodgkin lymphoma.’
- ‘The anterior landmark for the axillary site corresponded with the articulation of the third rib and sternum.’
- ‘There were ipsilateral matted axillary lymph nodes, and the overlying skin showed peau d' orange.’
- ‘Biopsy sites included cervical, mediastinal, supraclavicular, axillary, and inguinal lymph nodes, as well as masses of the cecum, stomach, colon, oropharynx, and eyelid.’
- 1.1Botany In or growing from an axil.‘axillary shoots’Often contrasted with terminal
- ‘These branches grow out from orthotropic epicormic buds that apparently originate from the axillary meristems in the main stem.’
- ‘Three main aspects of vegetative development were investigated: the quantity of primary growth; the number and nature of developing axillary shoots; and meristem death.’
- ‘In contrast, buds in axillary positions on 1-year-old long shoots differentiated less often into a floral bud.’
- ‘They have more leaves and axillary shoots and more leaf surface area per plant than do seedlings from the other two subspecies.’
- ‘This line appeared to be suitable to study in more detail the local consequences of enhanced cytokinin production in axillary meristems.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.