One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
1Relating to the armpit.‘enlargement of the axillary lymph nodes’
- ‘We compared the findings in these lymph nodes with lymph nodes obtained from axillary and inguinal dissections during surgical procedures.’
- ‘Bone marrow and axillary lymph node biopsies both contained mixed cellularity Hodgkin lymphoma.’
- ‘There were ipsilateral matted axillary lymph nodes, and the overlying skin showed peau d' orange.’
- ‘The anterior landmark for the axillary site corresponded with the articulation of the third rib and sternum.’
- ‘Biopsy sites included cervical, mediastinal, supraclavicular, axillary, and inguinal lymph nodes, as well as masses of the cecum, stomach, colon, oropharynx, and eyelid.’
- 1.1Botany In or growing from an axil.‘axillary shoots’Often contrasted with terminal
- ‘This line appeared to be suitable to study in more detail the local consequences of enhanced cytokinin production in axillary meristems.’
- ‘Three main aspects of vegetative development were investigated: the quantity of primary growth; the number and nature of developing axillary shoots; and meristem death.’
- ‘They have more leaves and axillary shoots and more leaf surface area per plant than do seedlings from the other two subspecies.’
- ‘These branches grow out from orthotropic epicormic buds that apparently originate from the axillary meristems in the main stem.’
- ‘In contrast, buds in axillary positions on 1-year-old long shoots differentiated less often into a floral bud.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.