One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
A jump in skating with a forward takeoff from the forward outside edge of one skate to the backward outside edge of the other, with one and a half turns in the air.
- ‘The second strategic mistake was the absence of a triple axel combination or quadruple toe loop attempt in the free skate.’
- ‘We have side-by-side triple toes, triple salchows, and double axels already and a throw double salchow.’
- ‘I did some triple jumps, everything but the lutz and the axel.’
- ‘He is also using the triple axel / triple toe loop in his long program and is working on the quadruple salchow and quadruple flip.’
- ‘She has also experimented with quadruple jumps, including the quad salchow, but indicated that the triple axel is easier for her.’
1930s: named after Axel R. Paulsen (1885–1938), Norwegian skater.
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.