One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
The quality of being awkward.‘there was a moment of awkwardness’‘the awkwardness of youth’
embarrassment, self-consciousness, discomfort, discomfiture, uneasiness, edginess, tension, nervousnessungainliness, clumsiness, lack of coordination, gracelessness, inelegance, ineptness, gaucheness, gawkinessView synonyms
- ‘The campaign is unlikely to help, and quite likely to increase awkwardness and embarrassment.’
- ‘The first episode comes across reasonably well but I think the ensuing episodes will be better once the initial awkwardnesses are out of the way.’
- ‘There is a pervading sense of discomfort and awkwardness about their arrangement and interaction.’
- ‘Nervousness and awkwardness set in before the next track brings the funk back.’
- ‘One senses that it is a much-resisted process, full of compromises and awkwardnesses, but it proceeds nonetheless.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.