Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
Arousing awe through being impressive, formidable, or magnificent.‘Michelangelo's awe-inspiring masterpiece’
breathtaking, amazing, stunning, stupendous, astonishing, awesome, extraordinary, incrediblemagnificent, wonderful, spectacular, sublime, glorious, magical, dazzling, imposing, stirring, impressiveformidable, terrifying, fearsomemind-boggling, mind-blowing, out of this world, sensational, supercalifragilisticexpialidocious, amazeballswondrousawfulView synonyms
- ‘From the heights of the extraordinary and awe-inspiring they return to the ordinary.’
- ‘It speaks of his spectacular success, and of his equally awe-inspiring killing.’
- ‘It makes you wonder if the Minister yawned before issuing that awe-inspiring comment.’
- ‘Immortalized, but he ain't gonna be scribbling no more awe-inspiring lyrics in a hurry.’
- ‘He wasn't given to being easily impressed, but she was an awe-inspiring sight.’
- ‘The Boschian art direction here is impressive, with awe-inspiring architecture and angry, blackened skies.’
- ‘Yet ineptitude at the back could not entirely explain away this truly awe-inspiring spectacle.’
- ‘The city has the most awe-inspiring skyline in the world.’
- ‘Do we have a sudden urge to squeeze our lover when we look out on a sunset, an awe-inspiring vista or a dreamy landscape?’
- ‘America still churns with many fierce, and amazing, and awe-inspiring things, from all over the place.’
- ‘I can stare at this masterpiece for hours, seeing something new and awe-inspiring in the picture every day.’
- ‘Against such an awe-inspiring backdrop it's impossible not to look amazing, and they did.’
- ‘This awe-inspiring achievement comes with some appropriately impressive scientific equipment.’
- ‘The choreographed lights to the music created an awe-inspiring spectacle as the orchestra and singers played and sang.’
- ‘He didn't need to see James' face to picture the incredulous expression with awe-inspiring clarity.’
- ‘The result is awe-inspiring and beautiful: the largest piece of functional sculpture you will ever see.’
- ‘Flying over the high mountain ranges emphasises why road travel is so tortuous, but the sight of these peaks and ravines is awe-inspiring.’
- ‘Sleeping out in the African bush under a sickle moon is one of the most awe-inspiring experiences - as long as you have a choice, of course.’
- ‘This restaurant reportedly has top-notch seafood, slick service and awe-inspiring decor.’
- ‘The variety of problems and progress reported on was awe-inspiring.’
Are you looking for a word for a foolish person? We explore twelve interesting words to describe the dunderheads in your life.
Before you run for the hills, let’s run through a list of ‘run’ expressions that are running through our minds.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.