One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
A message indicating that someone is unavailable, especially on an instant messaging service.
- ‘For instance, users can set options such as away messages, idle timeouts, create macros, enable mail checks (for local users) and much more.’
- ‘Before I could put an away message up, James Instant Messaged me.’
- ‘I went online and he had an away message up that said simply, ‘out’.’
- ‘Heather turned back to the screen, typed ‘ditto’ and then put up away messages.’
- ‘I was bombarded with IM's for a minute, until I put up away messages.’
- ‘My away messages are written in foreign languages.’
- ‘People make the away message do all sorts of things that it wasn't designed for because we would like to hang all sorts of self-identity attributes off it.’
- ‘She was away, so I just put up my away message, too.’
- ‘No, if I'm online, check out my away messages.’
- ‘It's great, except it seems to have a mind of its own at times (rapidly changing away messages, person-specific announcements going off at odd times, etc.).’
- ‘I clicked ‘Return’ on my away message window and waited for someone to get online.’
- ‘I ignored Adam's away message because I knew that in his case, when his message was on he was usually online but not in a talkative mood.’
- ‘If the phone was busy, and an away message was up, he would keep IMing her.’
- ‘Once they are wired into a college's Internet, away from parental controls, young people often step up their use of away messages, changing them three, four, even 25 or 30 times a day.’
- ‘I put on my away message and walked to my closet to pack.’
- ‘I put up an away message and found my way to the couch.’
- ‘I clicked over to my buddy list and read her away message: ‘Destroying my teddy bear; he doesn't love me.’’
- ‘I click on my AOL away message to make it clear to people I'm back.’
- ‘As soon as Colin had signed off, Jesse put up an away message that said, ‘Do you love me like I love you?’’
- ‘No one else on worth talking to, so I put up my away message that I had been using all week which had been the invitation sent out to everyone we knew earlier in the week.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.