Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
A message indicating that someone is unavailable, especially on an instant messaging service.
- ‘I was bombarded with IM's for a minute, until I put up away messages.’
- ‘I ignored Adam's away message because I knew that in his case, when his message was on he was usually online but not in a talkative mood.’
- ‘I put on my away message and walked to my closet to pack.’
- ‘No, if I'm online, check out my away messages.’
- ‘It's great, except it seems to have a mind of its own at times (rapidly changing away messages, person-specific announcements going off at odd times, etc.).’
- ‘If the phone was busy, and an away message was up, he would keep IMing her.’
- ‘Heather turned back to the screen, typed ‘ditto’ and then put up away messages.’
- ‘People make the away message do all sorts of things that it wasn't designed for because we would like to hang all sorts of self-identity attributes off it.’
- ‘I click on my AOL away message to make it clear to people I'm back.’
- ‘I clicked ‘Return’ on my away message window and waited for someone to get online.’
- ‘I put up an away message and found my way to the couch.’
- ‘No one else on worth talking to, so I put up my away message that I had been using all week which had been the invitation sent out to everyone we knew earlier in the week.’
- ‘She was away, so I just put up my away message, too.’
- ‘Once they are wired into a college's Internet, away from parental controls, young people often step up their use of away messages, changing them three, four, even 25 or 30 times a day.’
- ‘As soon as Colin had signed off, Jesse put up an away message that said, ‘Do you love me like I love you?’’
- ‘My away messages are written in foreign languages.’
- ‘Before I could put an away message up, James Instant Messaged me.’
- ‘For instance, users can set options such as away messages, idle timeouts, create macros, enable mail checks (for local users) and much more.’
- ‘I clicked over to my buddy list and read her away message: ‘Destroying my teddy bear; he doesn't love me.’’
- ‘I went online and he had an away message up that said simply, ‘out’.’
Are you looking for a word for a foolish person? We explore twelve interesting words to describe the dunderheads in your life.
Before you run for the hills, let’s run through a list of ‘run’ expressions that are running through our minds.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.