Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
The technical name for bird flu.→ bird flu
- ‘But what effect is avian influenza having on the world's birds?’
- ‘Poultry vaccines can prevent healthy chickens from contracting deadly strains of avian influenza, Dutch researchers report.’
- ‘An outbreak of avian influenza is ravaging the poultry industry in South East Asia.’
- ‘The countryside will not be closed down in the event of an outbreak of avian influenza.’
- ‘At the same time an Indonesian government official says Indonesians should just accustom themselves to getting sick from H5N1 avian influenza.’
- ‘Since it first emerged in 1997, avian influenza has become deadlier and more resilient.’
- ‘Wild birds were the main source of avian influenza, but live poultry markets in Asia provided the virus with a breeding ground.’
- ‘Fewer than a dozen cats are known to have become infected with avian influenza.’
- ‘Avian influenza, unlike SARS, can pass through gauze face masks.’
- ‘The birds are being culled following an outbreak of avian influenza, commonly known as bird flu.’
- ‘"The threat of avian influenza still exists," said Sir John.’
- ‘Today there have been a handful of human to human transmissions of avian influenza.’
- ‘Avian influenza has killed 18 people and ravaged poultry farms in 10 Asian nations and territories.’
- ‘Avian influenza (bird flu) is an infection caused by contagious viruses that are common among birds.’
- ‘She likely was infected by chickens at a neighbor's house, where 20 birds had died of avian influenza, Thai officials said.’
- ‘The European Commission yesterday ordered a ban on all imports of birds and feathers from Turkey amid new fears over avian influenza.’
- ‘So are we all now at risk from avian influenza?’
- ‘Traditional vaccines cannot be made to combat either H5 or H7 avian influenza.’
- ‘The 2004 animal survey placed special emphasis on surveying bird populations for signs of avian influenza.’
- ‘Unlike the recent outbreak of Severe Acute Respiratory Syndrome, the threat from avian influenza was well understood.’
Are you looking for a word for a foolish person? We explore twelve interesting words to describe the dunderheads in your life.
Before you run for the hills, let’s run through a list of ‘run’ expressions that are running through our minds.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.