One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
- ‘Other sectors to have suffered include regional tourism with avgas (aviation gas) and avtur fuels costing more than US $100 a barrel.’
- ‘You could be selecting fuel lines that have just enough avgas left to get a couple hundred feet off the ground before the engine quits.’
- ‘Typical of the Pacific, not everyone had gotten the message about the lack of avgas, since no NOTAM had been issued.’
- ‘They became the last US Navy Fleet aircraft to utilize avgas and to require bridles for carrier launches.’
- ‘In the two years to June, the price of avgas, the fuel used by small piston aircraft, increased by 80%.’
1940s: from av(iation) + gas.
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.