One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
A plant hormone which causes the elongation of cells in shoots and is involved in regulating plant growth.
- ‘Moreover, lateral root formation can be initiated by the application of the plant hormone auxin.’
- ‘Falling levels of plant hormones such as auxin and the cytokinins are responsible.’
- ‘New links to the plant hormone, auxin, were also uncovered.’
- ‘The news release relates to auxin, a plant hormone known to function in plant growth and development.’
- ‘Hormones such as auxins and gibberellins trigger fruit cells to expand.’
1930s: coined in German from Greek auxein ‘to increase’ + -in.
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.