One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
A verb used in forming the tenses, moods, and voices of other verbs.See also modal verb
- ‘On Block Two print auxiliary verbs, such as ‘should,’ ‘would,’ ‘might,’ ‘can,’ ‘will,’ and ‘did.’’
- ‘Bosnian uses fewer auxiliary verbs than English, and Bosnian speakers may be puzzled by questions in English, in which the auxiliary verb comes before the subject, as in ‘Did you eat?’’
- ‘Most of the functions of the old subjunctive have been taken over by auxiliary verbs like may and should, and the subjunctive survives only in very limited situations.’
- ‘Such words include pronouns, auxiliary verbs, conjunctions, and prepositions.’
- ‘Because in French there is no auxiliary verb corresponding to our English ‘did ’.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.