One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
The equinox in autumn, on about September 22 in the northern hemisphere and March 20 in the southern hemisphere.
- ‘Thus, Libra is Libra because it comes in the autumn equinox, when the Sun spreads its light equally over both hemispheres.’
- ‘In the plate's center is a representation of the star cluster Pleiades, which appears in the sky around the autumnal equinox and signaled the arrival of harvest season.’
- ‘In ancient times, fasts were traditional at the vernal and autumnal equinoxes and were believed to increase fertility.’
- ‘Sunlight is continuous throughout the summer, but after the solstice the sun slowly sinks to the horizon until it drops below on the autumn equinox.’
- ‘The Council will be held at the autumn equinox in a few weeks from now.’
- ‘Although it marks the autumnal equinox here, it is still a good time for tree planting and a time of vigorous growth.’
- ‘He disappeared off Iceland in the storms of the autumn equinox of 1942, poor chap.’
- ‘Make a portrait of the north woods in upper Minnesota over the ninety days between the autumn equinox and winter solstice.’
- ‘The autumnal equinox was more than a month ago on September 23 and we are just 56 days short of the shortest day which falls on December 22.’
- ‘They are seasonal visitors which migrate to warmer waters when the days get shorter after the autumn equinox.’
- ‘The autumnal equinox occurs in March in the Southern Hemisphere, and the spring equinox occurs in September.’
- ‘The autumn equinox was 22nd September but I'll be celebrating it with friends and family today.’
- ‘In ancient Egypt and Persia New Year began on September 21, at the autumnal equinox, when day and night were of equal length.’
- ‘Similarly, the autumnal equinox and winter solstice represent the astronomical beginnings of autumn and winter.’
- ‘The Sun only sets precisely due west on the day of the spring or autumn equinox.’
- ‘At the autumnal equinox, we celebrate last harvest, or Mabon.’
- ‘On a brilliant early morning of the autumnal equinox, Rose and I made our way down to the banks of a nearby river where we read letters of commitment to each other.’
- ‘The autumnal equinox occurs on September 22 at 1: 27 P.M., when Earth reaches a position in its orbit that brings the Southern Hemisphere closer to the Sun.’
- ‘That full Moon is known as the harvest Moon: the full Moon closest to the autumnal equinox in the Northern Hemisphere.’
- ‘The equal light and dark provides the scientific term for the beginning of fall - the autumnal equinox in the Northern Hemisphere.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.