One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
A crocuslike Eurasian plant of the lily family, cultivated for its autumn-blooming flowers.
- ‘Many other garden plants are also highly toxic, including rhubarb leaves, autumn crocuses, delphiniums, foxgloves and laburnum.’
- ‘Colchicine is an alkaloid isolated from the autumn crocus.’
- ‘I have spent enough autumns wandering around the fading glory of the summer garden kicking myself as I remember that I should have planted autumn crocus.’
- ‘Many of the autumn crocus come in varying shades of lilac.’
- ‘The word ‘Croceal’ or ‘saffron’ describes an orange-yellow colour; the word takes its root from the colour of an autumn crocus, also known as a meadow saffron.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.