Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
A device or facility for tuning something automatically, especially a piece of computer software that enables the correction of an out-of-tune vocal performance.
- ‘Still, one in the eye for all the music traditionalists who go on about how unnatural electronic manipulation such as Autotune is.’
- ‘More deliciously dirty beats, and a vocoder: no, not your AutoTune nonsense, a proper 80s style job that makes robot voices.’
- ‘While some people hated the Autotune, no one could deny that it was his most focused album yet.’
- ‘Just the plain "uncoolness" of some artists killed their autotune experiences.’
- ‘Katie Price's song sounds okay, but Autotune, or whatever it's called, is a wonderful invention.’
- ‘He revealed: "Everybody uses AutoTune these days."’
- ‘I get a big kick out of the I Am T-Pain app, which applies the AutoTune effect to your voice as you sing along with beats (or not).’
- ‘But as the man behind the Spice Girls, the first globally viable group in which marketing was truly more important than music, Fuller's prints are all over the wreckage of a pop culture that didn't need an autocue on TV, or an autotune in the studio.’
- ‘Turn on the radio and without turning the dial you find one-hit wonders, wanna-be gangsters, lying fools, and most importantly autotune.’
- ‘The pop heartthrob admits he uses vocal-enhancing programme AutoTune in the studio to improve his songs - but claims all other singers do as well.’
- ‘If people want to take the risk on a genuine artist, they go and see someone like Whitney (who I always thought was talented, shame she overdid the melisma, but at least she didn't need autotune).’
- ‘GQradio features a slick graphical interface, autotune, station presets and more.’
- ‘I wonder if Kordyback can even really sing without all the AutoTune.’
- ‘"And Then So Clear" is basic but true, though it will alienate some because Eno pitches his voice up an octave with what may be the same robotic AutoTune Cher used on "Believe".’
- ‘He needed to take advantage of the autotune craze and to take a chance at making an album that, because of the timing of the industry and his life events, had a short window for recording and release.’
- ‘Existing digital radio owners in the above areas should carry out an 'autotune' to scan and store the BBC services in their radio set's station list.’
1 Tune (something) automatically.‘there's also an FM radio which can autotune stations and has a ‘record’ option’
- ‘DRM technology is more or less like "a smart radio" that auto-tunes itself during emergency and natural disasters.’
- ‘You can autotune up to 10 programmes at a time.’
- ‘It's like a roadtrip to hell where the radio autotunes to whatever's heaviest.’
- ‘A kid should be taught how to auto-tune channels on the set.’
- ‘Also new in the latest update: a new channel info bar, and a setting to let you auto-tune to HD channels!’
- ‘Switch the box to "game" when you're using it, switch to the TV/Cable input manually, and don't let your TV try to autotune its way to a signal.’
- ‘However when I autotune the TV it only picks up the standard 5 terrestrial channels.’
- ‘Once your TV stops receiving signal from your current networks, head into your menu and start auto-tuning.’
- 1.1Alter (the pitch of a voice recording) by means of a computer program.‘vocals are often autotuned to fake perfection’‘Cher is the woman that many credit for bringing autotuned vocals into mainstream music’
- ‘The only music available was the lute and your natural voice, so that ruled out autotuned pop stars.’
- ‘While we may cringe at the autotuned quality of her voice, we can't help but agree with the lyrics.’
- ‘The album is a bombardment of autotuned vocals with loud drums and techno beats.’
- ‘His acting sucks and his music is so auto-tuned a monkey could sing it.’
- ‘She looks great but whoa..they really overdid it with the auto-tuning.’
- ‘The Gregory Brothers have become Internet famous for auto-tuning the news.’
- ‘She sounds so good she almost sounds autotuned.’
- ‘Maybe I will sing with them but you would have to auto-tune me!’
- ‘She's a fantastic singer (real pop music, instead of overly autotuned garbage!)’
- ‘Her energetic stage presence made the songs work, and those falsetto notes needed no auto-tuning.’
Are you looking for a word for a foolish person? We explore twelve interesting words to describe the dunderheads in your life.
Before you run for the hills, let’s run through a list of ‘run’ expressions that are running through our minds.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.