One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
Writing said to be produced by a spiritual, occult, or subconscious agency rather than by the conscious intention of the writer.
- ‘A heck of a lot of surrealism came from techniques used by Spiritualists - automatic writing on the literary side, and collage art on the visual side.’
- ‘I was able to see a person's past or future, feel the presence of ‘lost souls’, and channel the words of spirit guides through automatic writing.’
- ‘Her automatic writing and concrete poetry merge text and image in an ongoing idiosyncratic commentary on contemporary life.’
- ‘It was like automatic writing - and the result was just words, there was no ‘message’.’
- ‘You could maybe try and get some dream contact going as well, try automatic writing, there's all sorts of things you could do.’
- ‘I asked the spirit guides and then used automatic writing.’
- ‘I did go into some automatic writing at the end, but it was mostly incomprehensible.’
- ‘Skeptics consider automatic writing to be little more than a parlor game, although sometimes useful for self-discovery and for getting started on a writing project.’
- ‘He emphasized the importance of knowledge of materials, but also encouraged his pupils to develop their imaginations through, for example, automatic writing.’
- ‘Now this sounds very bizarre but we know for example that in the 20th century, Carl Jung, the great analyst, used techniques of automatic speech and automatic writing in order to plumb the depths of his patients' subconscious.’
- ‘Indeed, Smith has talked of the surrealist influence in his work, focusing on his methods as akin to automatic writing.’
- ‘So when an acquaintance told him that his two daughters practised automatic writing - slipping into reveries in which their hands would seem to write of their own accord - he said he would like to meet them.’
- ‘Jane had become a Spiritualist and medium, producing thousands of pages of automatic writing by a hand she believed was being guided by discarnates.’
- ‘Some work with a crystal ball, or read tea leaves or tarot cards, others communicate with angels or spirit guides; some go into a trance and channel their messages, some work with a Ouija Board or do automatic writing.’
- ‘The ultimate logic of this method is automatic writing developed by the surrealists.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.