Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
A feature of certain amplifier circuits that gives a constant output over a wide range of input levels.
- ‘One full spectrum was recorded followed by 3 MS / MS spectra on the LTQ instrument, automatic gain control was applied and the collision energy was set to the arbitrary value of 35.’
- ‘Images were collected without automatic gain control in order to preserve the relative intensity of different animals' fluorescence.’
- ‘The microphone did not have automatic gain control.’
- ‘Other features include automatic gain control, silence suppression and encryption.’
- ‘The devices have to have an automatic gain control circuit to work with this, but no special software or an operating system.’
Are you looking for a word for a foolish person? We explore twelve interesting words to describe the dunderheads in your life.
Before you run for the hills, let’s run through a list of ‘run’ expressions that are running through our minds.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.