One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
A German, Austrian, or Swiss expressway.
street, road, roadway, avenue, boulevard, wayView synonyms
- ‘I am at home right now preparing for a weekend on the German Autobahn.’
- ‘After his release from incarceration, he worked briefly with construction crews building the Autobahn, Germany's superhighway.’
- ‘I love going to Germany and driving on the Autobahns, but the reality is that the German people pay heavily for that facility.’
- ‘Major roads are prefixed with a ‘B’ and the motorways are prefixed with ‘A’ which stands for Autobahn.’
- ‘According to one radio report, half the fatalities on German Autobahns are caused by tailgating.’
1930s: from German, from Auto ‘motor car’ + Bahn ‘path, road’.
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.