Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
[usually as modifier] An automobile.‘the auto industry’
motor car, automobile, motor, machineView synonyms
- ‘It is not unreasonable to expect the slowdown in car sales to affect auto parts companies too.’
- ‘They brought a gust of cold air with them and the smell of auto exhaust.’
- ‘Making use of the internet for getting the best suited auto insurance is not a demanding task.’
- ‘Another reason to take a course of this nature is to reduce auto insurance rates.’
- ‘The riders weave through the pedestrians and much of the center has almost no auto traffic.’
- ‘Plan your needs with financial planner and then apply for the auto loan you need.’
- ‘Finding the best auto parts actually depends on you, so make the right choice now!’
- ‘Did you ever wonder why the North American auto industry is concentrated where it is?’
Late 19th century: abbreviation of automobile.
Are you looking for a word for a foolish person? We explore twelve interesting words to describe the dunderheads in your life.
Before you run for the hills, let’s run through a list of ‘run’ expressions that are running through our minds.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.