adjective & noun
- short for automatic
- ‘The manual gearbox has a tendency to be notchy and the auto gearbox doesn't change particularly smoothly.’
- ‘Our cows have foam mattresses to lie on and an auto cleaner that cleans the floor every two hours.’
- ‘It has a much slower rate of fire than the auto shotgun, but it hits just as hard.’
- ‘Let's be honest here: if I got an auto response, how can the contents of my email have been noted.’
- ‘I was playing with the auto contrast on my camera, setting it by focussing one area then moving it to point somewhere else.’
We take a look at several popular, though confusing, punctuation marks.