One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
adjective & noun
- short for automatic
- ‘The manual gearbox has a tendency to be notchy and the auto gearbox doesn't change particularly smoothly.’
- ‘Let's be honest here: if I got an auto response, how can the contents of my email have been noted.’
- ‘I was playing with the auto contrast on my camera, setting it by focussing one area then moving it to point somewhere else.’
- ‘It has a much slower rate of fire than the auto shotgun, but it hits just as hard.’
- ‘Our cows have foam mattresses to lie on and an auto cleaner that cleans the floor every two hours.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.