One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
usually as modifier An automobile.‘the auto industry’
motor car, automobile, motor, machineView synonyms
- ‘Did you ever wonder why the North American auto industry is concentrated where it is?’
- ‘They brought a gust of cold air with them and the smell of auto exhaust.’
- ‘It is not unreasonable to expect the slowdown in car sales to affect auto parts companies too.’
- ‘Another reason to take a course of this nature is to reduce auto insurance rates.’
- ‘Making use of the internet for getting the best suited auto insurance is not a demanding task.’
- ‘The riders weave through the pedestrians and much of the center has almost no auto traffic.’
- ‘Finding the best auto parts actually depends on you, so make the right choice now!’
- ‘Plan your needs with financial planner and then apply for the auto loan you need.’
Late 19th century: abbreviation of automobile.
noun & adjective
- short for automatic
- ‘It has a much slower rate of fire than the auto shotgun, but it hits just as hard.’
- ‘Let's be honest here: if I got an auto response, how can the contents of my email have been noted.’
- ‘I was playing with the auto contrast on my camera, setting it by focussing one area then moving it to point somewhere else.’
- ‘Our cows have foam mattresses to lie on and an auto cleaner that cleans the floor every two hours.’
- ‘The manual gearbox has a tendency to be notchy and the auto gearbox doesn't change particularly smoothly.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.