Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
1The action or fact of authorizing or being authorized.‘the raising of revenue and the authorization of spending’‘power stations will have to obtain authorizations to continue their operations’
right, power, mandate, prerogative, licencepermission, consent, leave, sanction, licence, dispensation, assent, acquiescence, agreement, approval, seal of approval, approbation, endorsement, imprimatur, clearanceView synonyms
- ‘The problem here is whether the police force have obtained the proper authorization to monitor innocent people.’
- ‘The occupation forces can therefore continue their activities with formal authorization.’
- ‘This authorisation is obtained by way of ministerial decree.’
- ‘At no time did he acknowledge a need to obtain congressional authorization.’
- ‘But he Eriksson has alleged the pictures were obtained without his authorisation.’
- ‘Therefore, the search was in his opinion warrantless and unreasonable even though judicial authorization had been obtained.’
- ‘As a result, third parties may not transform or alter a work without the author's authorization.’
- ‘And he revealed police obtained authorisation to secretly record conversations between the two men in a cell.’
- ‘The governor had contended that he wouldn't even need court authorization.’
- ‘The commissioners in each community were also duly informed and their authorization obtained.’
- ‘If he was against the war, then why did he vote for its authorization?’
- ‘Secondly, I think that it's on very, very shaky ground without constitutional authorization.’
- ‘Companies can only market products if they have authorisation to do so from the Licensing Authority.’
- ‘Both parties involved would need to attend one of the specialist register offices in person to obtain authorisation.’
- ‘For example, a pathologist will not need to obtain authorization if the research is limited to autopsy samples.’
- ‘To ensure the quality, traders should be asked to obtain necessary authorisation.’
- ‘If the patient decides against the treatment, authorisation and, hence consent, is withheld.’
- ‘Approval and authorization was obtained from the Director of Bilingual Education.’
- ‘They had obtained authorization to do the foundation earthwork for the school buildings.’
- ‘The preference of the attending physician and wishes of the family determine whether authorization is obtained.’
- 1.1A document giving permission or authority.
permission, consent, leave, sanction, licence, dispensation, warrant, clearanceassent, acquiescence, agreement, approval, seal of approval, approbation, endorsement, blessing, imprimatur, acceptance, rubber stamp, accreditationauthority, right, power, mandatenihil obstatthe go-ahead, the thumbs up, the ok, the green light, the nod, say-sopermitView synonyms
- ‘If Congress acts and the president signs the annual budget authorizations, then you'll see how meaningless that deal really is.’
- ‘Customers will sign authorisations and receipts on a touch-sensitive pad.’
- ‘The authorizations were personally signed by him.’
- ‘Despite having all the appropriate authorisations in their possession, they were unable to produce the program for which they had travelled to the country.’
- ‘The Committee and the City met on September 21, at which time the Committee presented the City with copies of the authorizations signed by the Sandy Beach leaseholders.’
Are you looking for a word for a foolish person? We explore twelve interesting words to describe the dunderheads in your life.
Before you run for the hills, let’s run through a list of ‘run’ expressions that are running through our minds.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.