Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
1The action or fact of authorizing or being authorized.‘the raising of revenue and the authorization of spending’‘power stations will have to obtain authorizations to continue their operations’
permission, consent, leave, sanction, licence, dispensation, assent, acquiescence, agreement, approval, seal of approval, approbation, endorsement, imprimatur, clearanceright, power, mandate, prerogative, licenceView synonyms
- ‘The preference of the attending physician and wishes of the family determine whether authorization is obtained.’
- ‘Approval and authorization was obtained from the Director of Bilingual Education.’
- ‘They had obtained authorization to do the foundation earthwork for the school buildings.’
- ‘The occupation forces can therefore continue their activities with formal authorization.’
- ‘If he was against the war, then why did he vote for its authorization?’
- ‘Companies can only market products if they have authorisation to do so from the Licensing Authority.’
- ‘But he Eriksson has alleged the pictures were obtained without his authorisation.’
- ‘The problem here is whether the police force have obtained the proper authorization to monitor innocent people.’
- ‘At no time did he acknowledge a need to obtain congressional authorization.’
- ‘The commissioners in each community were also duly informed and their authorization obtained.’
- ‘As a result, third parties may not transform or alter a work without the author's authorization.’
- ‘To ensure the quality, traders should be asked to obtain necessary authorisation.’
- ‘The governor had contended that he wouldn't even need court authorization.’
- ‘If the patient decides against the treatment, authorisation and, hence consent, is withheld.’
- ‘And he revealed police obtained authorisation to secretly record conversations between the two men in a cell.’
- ‘For example, a pathologist will not need to obtain authorization if the research is limited to autopsy samples.’
- ‘Both parties involved would need to attend one of the specialist register offices in person to obtain authorisation.’
- ‘This authorisation is obtained by way of ministerial decree.’
- ‘Therefore, the search was in his opinion warrantless and unreasonable even though judicial authorization had been obtained.’
- ‘Secondly, I think that it's on very, very shaky ground without constitutional authorization.’
- 1.1 A document giving permission or authority.
permission, consent, leave, sanction, licence, dispensation, warrant, clearanceassent, acquiescence, agreement, approval, seal of approval, approbation, endorsement, blessing, imprimatur, acceptance, rubber stamp, accreditationauthority, right, power, mandatenihil obstatthe go-ahead, the thumbs up, the ok, the green light, the nod, say-sopermitView synonyms
- ‘Despite having all the appropriate authorisations in their possession, they were unable to produce the program for which they had travelled to the country.’
- ‘Customers will sign authorisations and receipts on a touch-sensitive pad.’
- ‘The Committee and the City met on September 21, at which time the Committee presented the City with copies of the authorizations signed by the Sandy Beach leaseholders.’
- ‘The authorizations were personally signed by him.’
- ‘If Congress acts and the president signs the annual budget authorizations, then you'll see how meaningless that deal really is.’
We take a look at several popular, though confusing, punctuation marks.
From Afghanistan to Zimbabwe, discover surprising and intriguing language facts from around the globe.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.