Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
(of minerals and other materials) formed in their present position.Often contrasted with allogenic
- ‘He regarded the iron phosphate strengite to be the typical form of authigenic phosphate in freshwater deposits.’
- ‘Later, authigenic quartz was precipitated and carbonate phases were partly silicified.’
- ‘This mineral is probably authigenic clay that formed in the spring waters while the silica was being precipitated.’
- ‘To determine the stable isotope composition of authigenic cements with a high spatial resolution, samples for stable isotope analyses were taken from polished slabs using a hand-held microdrill.’
- ‘These may be reprecipitated and incorporated into authigenic materials, such as glauconite, various carbonates, and iron and manganese oxides.’
- ‘The trend is produced by the presence of variable amounts of hemipelagic mud in the authigenic carbonates.’
- ‘Detrital quartz from an igneous source is usually substantially brighter in luminescence than quartz of an authigenic origin.’
Late 19th century: from Greek authigenēs born on the spot + -ic.
Are you looking for a word for a foolish person? We explore twelve interesting words to describe the dunderheads in your life.
Before you run for the hills, let’s run through a list of ‘run’ expressions that are running through our minds.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.