One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
(of minerals and other materials) formed in their present position.Often contrasted with allogenic
- ‘Later, authigenic quartz was precipitated and carbonate phases were partly silicified.’
- ‘He regarded the iron phosphate strengite to be the typical form of authigenic phosphate in freshwater deposits.’
- ‘Detrital quartz from an igneous source is usually substantially brighter in luminescence than quartz of an authigenic origin.’
- ‘This mineral is probably authigenic clay that formed in the spring waters while the silica was being precipitated.’
- ‘These may be reprecipitated and incorporated into authigenic materials, such as glauconite, various carbonates, and iron and manganese oxides.’
- ‘The trend is produced by the presence of variable amounts of hemipelagic mud in the authigenic carbonates.’
- ‘To determine the stable isotope composition of authigenic cements with a high spatial resolution, samples for stable isotope analyses were taken from polished slabs using a hand-held microdrill.’
Late 19th century: from Greek authigenēs ‘born on the spot’ + -ic.
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.