Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
A window shade made from fabric shirred in puffy frills or pleats.
- ‘Austrian Blinds or Austrian shades are in reality a curtain, and are made up as such.’
- ‘You don't want to know the difference between big frilly Roman shades and fluffy Austrian shades?’
- ‘Many people think Austrian shades are fussy and unruly, but in the right circumstances they can enhance a room.’
- ‘We can provide soft shades in several styles including Roman shades, balloon shades, and Austrian shades.’
- ‘A very classic style, roman shades are the simpler cousins of Austrian shades and balloon shades.’
Austrian shade/ˌôstrēən ˈSHād/
Are you looking for a word for a foolish person? We explore twelve interesting words to describe the dunderheads in your life.
Before you run for the hills, let’s run through a list of ‘run’ expressions that are running through our minds.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.