One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
- ‘Personally it sounds like one of those great Australianisms, where a word has been borrowed from an act of parliament and ended up in the vernacular.’
- ‘The Australian National Dictionary is a historical dictionary of some 10,000 Australianisms.’
- ‘It was a strange collection of abbreviations and Australianisms which I had totally forgotten in the intervening years.’
- ‘That most Australia of Australianisms, ‘fair dinkum’ has been baffling our finest linguo-cosmologists for decades.’
- ‘There are Australianisms of language and tone, Australian touchstones of reference, that should be consciously preserved.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.