One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
A form of football played on an oval ground with an oval ball by teams of eighteen players. Official name Australian National football.
- ‘I remember my under 14's coach repeating time and time again that Australian Rules is a team sport.’
- ‘In Australian Rules, every time a goal is kicked the ball is returned to the centre of the field and bounced again to restart the game.’
- ‘In season, I follow Australian Rules and Rugby League with a keen interest.’
- ‘Power admitted he didn't find the game ‘that physical,’ even though he accepts that side of the game is second nature to Australian Rules players.’
- ‘In the southern and western states of Australia: Melbourne, Adelaide, Perth, Hobart - there is the game of Australian Rules football.’
- ‘This section of the paper will provide information concerning collective bargaining agreements in Australian Rules football, soccer, rugby union, and cricket.’
- ‘Last I heard, he was playing in the British Australian Rules Football League in London.’
- ‘Here is a list of my favourite things I love to see at a game of Australian Rules.’
- ‘Tasmanian friends remember him as a keen, if rowdy, Australian Rules football player who thought nothing of sprinting the length of the field to support his team-mates in a melee.’
- ‘Unlike their male counterparts, the women compete against teams from all Australian Rules football-playing states and the standard of play will only improve with the experience.’
- ‘My dad, who was hopeless at cricket, played Australian Rules football to a very high standard and, from the age of six, I often went along to watch him train.’
- ‘Melbourne hosts up to five top class games of Australian Rules every weekend during the season, which runs from March to September.’
- ‘Gary helps his local Australian Rules football team win the championship by accident.’
- ‘Played under Compromise Rules, the game was one-half under Gaelic Rules and one-half under Australian Rules and the oval ball.’
- ‘In Australia his sport was rugby and Australian Rules football.’
- ‘This was a wonderful game of Australian Rules football.’
- ‘He is not only one of the finest players, and coaches, in the history of Australian Rules, he is also one of its most constructive thinkers and finest ambassadors.’
- ‘Are they still relevant to the games of Australian Rules and Rugby League?’
- ‘Victoria is also ‘footy’ country, and Melbourne is the capital for Australian Rules football, a fast-paced game played on an oval.’
- ‘I played my first ever game of Australian Rules football on the Foundry Ground in Kalgoorlie.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.