Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
1A tool with a helical bit for boring holes in wood.
drilling tool, boring tool, rotary tool, auger, gimlet, awl, bradawlView synonyms
- ‘The earlier wooden screws for olive and grape presses and the later devices such as augers and letterpresses are all based on the principle of the screw and precede the use of the screwdriver.’
- ‘A spoon auger used to bore holes into wood.’
- ‘The Bayeux Tapestry contains a particularly telling shipbuilding scene in which trees are felled and planks selected, the shipwright checks the lines of the ship by eye and other craftsmen set to work with axes and augers.’
- ‘A common method was to bore a hole in the barrel using any of a variety of bung borers, boring taps, augers, tapered reamers, and the like.’
- ‘This boring article presents a few of the many interesting variants in wood boring augers and twist bits.’
- 1.1A tool with a large helical bit for boring holes in the ground.
- ‘We use the auger to drill holes, the sweeper to sweep the parking lot, the hammer to bust concrete.’
- ‘I carefully drill 16-inch - to 18-inch-deep holes with a 2-inch diameter soil auger.’
- ‘Watching them work, they felt a surge of sympathy for the soldiers who alternated in pairs as they screwed the augers into the semi-frozen earth.’
- ‘Samples of clay from the auger holes were tested for moisture content but did not indicate any exceptional level of desiccation.’
- ‘While he was digging the holes in the sand with a huge auger...’
Old English nafogār, from nafu (see nave) + gār piercer. The n was lost by wrong division of a nauger; compare with adder and apron.
Are you looking for a word for a foolish person? We explore twelve interesting words to describe the dunderheads in your life.
Before you run for the hills, let’s run through a list of ‘run’ expressions that are running through our minds.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.