One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
A handheld device which provides recorded information for visitors touring a museum, gallery, or other place of interest.
- ‘The audio guide will allow visitors to identify important exhibits.’
- ‘Similar to audio guides in museums, each phone number connected to a unique recording that described a certain site in Baghdad.’
- ‘In the New York exhibit, although an excellent catalogue and audio guides were available, the objects had no labels.’
- ‘The exhibition is family-friendly and will provide flip panels and audio guides to explain the historical context of each piece.’
- ‘You can borrow a free audio guide from the front desk.’
- ‘With your free portable audio-guide, you will learn about the amazing 20,000 objects made or used in the county.’
- ‘The talking point of the Colourists show is the free audio guide with every ticket.’
- ‘The tour should take a few hours and hiring an audio guide is advisable.’
- ‘His elegant voice is familiar to many who have visited the Met and have used the museum's audio guides.’
- ‘We are currently developing a pre-visit audio guide for visually impaired visitors to the Eden Project.’
- ‘During my recent visit to the Metropolitan Museum of Art, I went to the desk to ask for a headset for their audio guide.’
- ‘The display, meant to take about 60 minutes to tour (an optional audio guide costs $6), becomes progressively more gruesome.’
- ‘Spotting a sign that announces audio guides I ask for them.’
- ‘Visitors browse about with audio-guide phones held to their ears.’
- ‘The tours are guided but you get an audio guide in your language of choice.’
- ‘You'll find some audio guide numbers on one of the text panels.’
- ‘The Met's audio guide adds little to the information published beside the exhibits.’
- ‘Audio guides have become standard fixtures of many museums.’
- ‘The artists' recorded comments on the audio guide revealed their collusion in trendy artspeak.’
- ‘There is not a single label or text or audio-guide here.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.